In an Accident?
That’s life. No matter how careful we are, the unexpected comes along. When it does, follow these simple rules at the scene of the accident.
- If possible, move all of the vehicles involved out of traffic and remove the ignition key.
- Assess any injuries suffered by those involved. In the case of serious injury, avoid taking any action in the absence of qualified medical personnel.
- Immediately call 911 for assistance and, if required, emergency medical services.
- Remove any debris that lies in the path of traffic if it is safe to do so.
- Collect the names and contact information of those involved, including passengers and anyone who may have witnessed the accident.
- Do your best to document the circumstances of the accident…direction of travel and road conditions, number of traffic lanes, date and time of day, and the weather.
- Do not discuss fault with anyone. Tell your story only to the police.
- It is essential to exchange insurance information with the other driver(s) involved.
- Contact your insurance company as soon as you are able.